Saturday, May 8, 2010

I love New York, but not at Bayview and Sheppard

I spent the past week touring new housing developments in and around Toronto. As I drove along Sheppard Avenue I couldn't believe my eyes. There was the Chrysler building. Well actually there were two Chrysler buildings, as part of a large complex across from a shopping centre.While I was amused, I couldn't help but think there was something wrong with this mimicry, especially when the buildings at the base seemed to come from another place and another era. It seemed so forced and artificial. On the other hand, I suspect the people who bought there enjoy living in a building that is a bit more distinctive than so many of the other large apartment blocks around the city. And yes, they certainly are large.I went inside the presentation centre and was interested to read about the rationale for the design of the top of the original Chrysler building. It seeems the developer didn't want a rival to know how tall his building was going to be so he created an 'accordian' design which was extended at the very last minute. Ingenious! Here's the real Chrysler Building top...

No comments: